2/18/08

Framing a new threat

Anybody have one of those digital picture frames? I've always thought they were pretty neat. Being one who finds dealing with printing a real chore, I've come close to getting one more than a few times. I wonder if they come with a digital version of the stock photography family that always looks so happy, frolicking in the park under a shady tree, like the "regular" frames have?

Turns out that there is one thing some of these digital photo frames come with that you do NOT want. Viruses! According to this article they're arriving from China with trojans installed that try to gather passwords and install backdoors into your computer for installing MORE trojans and viruses. Yikes.

Now that I think about it, think of the potential for havoc if baddies infiltrated manufacturing plants for other cheap storage devices and put bad stuff on them. Boatloads of flash memory cards, cheap hard drives http://www.blogger.com/img/gl.link.gifand portable music players, keychain drives, etc. Most people, myself included before I heard of this, just carve these gadgets out of their ridiculous blister-pack packaging and start using 'em.

No comments: