2/5/08

GTD tip - voice recorder

Did you check out any of the GTD stuff I linked to in my post about Nozbe and the Getting Things Done system?

No? That’s OK, I’m sure you’ll get to it eventually. You’ve made a mental note to check it out sometime, right? Hardy har.

Well, if you have started looking into it, you’ve probably discovered that one of the first steps of implementing a good GTD system and increasing your productivity is learning how to collect all the informational "stuff" that flies at you all day long.

When you’re at your computer or you have your trusty notebook or stack of index cards handy, it’s easy to capture all the tasks your brain realizes you must finish to move your projects forward.

I don’t know about you, but I find that my brain turns to my work a good bit when I’m driving. Then what?

Simple. Buy an inexpensive micro voice recorder, and keep it in your briefcase or purse on the seat or in your coin tray at all times. If your brain reminds you of something you need to add to that big proposal you’re working on, hit record and speak your notes. When you’re back in a “normal” office environment, just hit play and get your notes into shape. It’s all part of the belief that your brain isn’t always the best place to store bunches of mental sticky notes. Have the thought, record it somehow to a location where you know you’ll see/hear it again, and move on. Make room for more ideas.

This has worked great for me. I have an Olympus tapeless recorder, takes a single AAA battery, and it wasn’t really that expensive. Picked it up at Staples, I believe. It even plugs into my computer via USB and I can download the recordings onto my hard drive, although honestly I haven’t needed to do that.

You can have fun with this, too. When you’re waiting at an especially long traffic light, glance over at the car next to you. Look the vehicle up-and-down like you’re seeing something really interesting. If you catch the driver’s eye, lift the recorder to your face and begin speaking into it, all the while maintaining visual contact. Heck, it doesn’t even have to be on. Shake your head side to side as if to say “tsk tsk,” smile, and put the recorder down right before the light turns green.

OK, don't really do that. Unless it's somebody you know. And maybe not even then. But it was fun to imagine, eh?

No comments: