1/17/09

Windows Live Writer – Something New, Something Useful From Microsoft.

One thing I stumbled across when trying out Windows 7 was Windows Live Writer, part of the Windows Live Essentials collection which you can download for free from Microsoft. The Essentials collection, by the way, also contains Microsoft’s email, instant messenger, Movie Maker, and Writer programs for Windows 7. Those programs apparently will not be included by default with Windows 7, unless this has something to do with the beta period. Note, too, that you can run Live Essentials programs on Windows XP.

windows-live_dl
Windows Live Essential Options

Anyways, Live Writer gives you a word processor style tool for editing content on your blog. Just give it your blog address, username, and password, and it downloads the theme so that you can work in WYSIWYG mode. And it’s a way better typing/editing environment than the browser, at least for me.  Inserting images, tables, and lots of other goodies looks to be really easy.

Below is a screen snap of the very window I’m writing this blog post in right now. Careful – it’s like that looking in a mirror into another mirror trick; you might get vertigo.

windows-livewriter
WYSIWYG Editing with Live Writer is sooooo much nicer than using the Web interface

Very, very handy tool. It looks like it covers all the bases for editing your blog, including downloading your tags, showing a preview version, saving drafts, etc.

I with there was something like this for OS X. Maybe there is. Until now, I haven’t thought to look for ‘cause I didn’t know such a thing existed. Mac-using bloggers – anything out there like this for OSX?

I think I’ll install Live Writer into my main Windows XP virtual machine. It’s the first program to come along in a long while to give me a little touch of Windows envy, and it makes blogging – a task which I enjoy but still takes a lot of work – a little more pleasurable.

windowslive-3
Browse or search all your blog posts & choose one to edit. Sweet!

No comments: