3/25/08

Entourage and Email attachments

If you use Entourage for your email on the Mac, shame on you! Apple's mail program is so much better. But I understand. Of course you have a good reason why you must use Entourage. (if you want a list of why Entourage is horrible, email me and I'll make it happen).


Quick warning, however:  A recent patch on the Windows side of life can cause attachments sent by Mac Entourage 2004 users to become corrupt.

After noticing this strange behavior, I did some Googlin' and tested it myself by uninstalling the patch on Windows and sending some jpeg tests Entourage on the Mac to an Outlook mailbox on the PC. The attachments came through on Outlook 203 (Windows) just fine. But then I put the patch back into Windows, re-sent the attachments from Entourage on the Mac, and what do you know.  Not a single program on my PC was able to open them. It doesn't happen every time, and Microsoft asks that we give 'em a month to figure it out. (Note: I haven't researched Entourage 2008 yet). 

One possible workaround on the Mac side is for Mac users to change their attachment preferences in Entourage. Under Preferences/Compose, change the Attachment Encode For: value from whatever it is now to Windows (MIME/Base64).

Windows users, I don't know that I'd uninstall the patch. First, that always carries some risk, because the patch is there presumably for a reason: protection against a vulnerability. Second, a month is not too long to wait for a fix and how many attachments do you get from Entourage users, anyways? I think it's more important for Mac users to not lose attachments from Windows friends or customers, and fortunately there seems to be an easy workaround for now.

If you want more info on the Microsoft update, head to Microsoft.com and search for KB945432.