11/28/07

Looking at Leopard

My friend Dean over at Sage Advice recently launched a new blog of his own, and took the opportunity to share his experiences with the new Mac Leopard operating system (10.5 if you're a numbers sort of person). It's interesting to see his reactions at the beginning (some negatives), and how it's progressed since then. Check it out at www.sageadviceltd.com.


Here's the text of one of the replies I made to a fairly critical entry:

"I’ve had a bit different of an experience. Installed it first weekend after it came out.

Although this upgrade has been more problematic than 10.3 to 10.4, it certainly hasn’t been horrible and, like you, I probably push my machine and use a more varied set of software than most. (CS3, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Lightroom, Final Cut Pro, Office 2004, RDC, QBPro 2005, Mail, iCal, Toast 8, iWork 08, FMPro 8.5, Retrospect 6.1, Parallels, iMovie 6 HD, Garageband 3)

Time Machine is a disaster, and I had to wait two weeks for Adobe to issue a Lightroom update, but beyond that most software has been fine. All my app’s producers were pretty quick to release Leopard updates (Transmit, Adium, etc). Toast works fine, Retrospect works fine, Filemaker, etc. Oh, one problem - dropdown menus no longer work in my version of Quickbooks (which is old - 2005).

I don’t think I would have tried the upgrade with that SATA card, and I had found the Griffin iMic to be problematic even with 10.4.

Time Machine is causing problems with people running entourage, mainly because Entourage uses a big DB instead of individual files - so one new email means TM will backup the entire DB each hour.

Hardware specs: Mac Pro dual 2.66, 4 gigs RAM, SuperDrive, 4 internal SATA drives, HP LaserJet 1320, HP Photosmart Pro B8350, Epson 2480 Scanner, Snowball USB microphone.

One thing that does NOT work is the Formac Studio, which is a replacement for a model that quit working after 10.3. I hate that damn Formac company! Grrr! I’m keeping my Tiger clone drive just so I can boot from it if I need to convert VHS to digital.”

No comments: